Or should I say, back in the chancel. This past Sunday was my first Sunday leading worship at Trinity. It was good to be back at this work that I love. There are so many things that are unfamiliar these days, but presiding at the liturgy I felt at home. Speaking words of absolution, words of prayer, words of benediction—even though it is to a new group of people, I speak on behalf of the same God with the same assurance and confidence.
A few notes on how things are going so far…
- When we moved into the house, there were a number of issues with the house (appliances not working, loose tiles in the shower, leaky pipes, etc). I think everything is fixed now, so we can live here for the time being.
- I’ve looked at a few homes in the area, but we’ll just keep our eyes open for the next few months and see what we see.
- I’m in listening and learning mode at church. I’m trying to get a sense of how things work, where things are, who does what. After I do this for a while, I’ll be able to have a better sense of the direction things might go in the future.
I think I’m getting used to El Paso. We had our first real desert rain yesterday. It rarely rains in the summer in Modesto, so it was a little different. I have my Texas plates on the van and my new drivers’ license should come in the mail soon. I’ve driven around several parts of the city, though far from all of it. It’s still a little strange to be able to drive and see Mexico out the window. I love being by the Franklin mountains. The picture here was taken with my camera phone as we were coming back from supper on the west side and coming back through the mountains the moon was rising up over them. Beautiful.
- I’m looking forward to being in Minnesota at the end of the month for worship conference. Not only am I looking forward to the conference and the workshops and the worship services, but I should be able to see some family while there, and I’ll also be able to catch up with a number of classmates and friends and former members. It will be really nice.
- I’m looking forward to July 11, when the new 3G iPhone is being released. I’ve been waiting for this for a while, and I’m especially looking forward to a phone with GPS in an unfamiliar city as I start making my initial visits with the families in the congregation.
- If you don’t have our new contact information, just send me an email and I’ll send it to you. Some of the details (like address) won’t be permanent, but it’s where you can find us for now.
3 thoughts on “Back in the Saddle…”
I’m so glad to “hear” from you again. We are in San Antonio, Texas right now as well and it feels like we should be able to just drive on over. Our next trip to Texas will need to be further south!!
I look to forward to seeing you in July…keep me posted with the details so I can plan our trip to MN.
I’m glad to hear that you are getting settled. I hope to see you while you are in St Peter, MN. Let me know when you have free time and we can have lunch or something.
Good to hear that you are getting settled and comfortable in your new home. I sent the “Modesto” “Caauwe house” hanger to the engraver just before we left Rapid. I should have the completed one and the “El Paso” one done soon.